Celebrating Foliage

Sunday, June 29, 2008 Category: Garden Design

Foliage adds a serene atmosphere to the garden. The soothing calmness of greenery is enlivened by the play of light and shadow on fronds, needles and leaflets. There is always something interesting to view when there is a variety of textures and colours of leaves in the garden. In the shade garden, this is especially important. The photo gallery at the bottom of the post shows a variety of perennial and tree leaves, and some interesting combinations.

Since the leaves are usually around for longer than flowers, it’s important to think about how they look. Placing foliage that contrasts with nearby plants, or compliments the other plants makes the garden a visual tapestry of green. A garden doesn’t have to look boring when the flowers are gone, leaves can be enjoyed for their own beauty. A few flowers might have sneaked into the photos, but mainly the foliage takes the stage.

There are many ways you can emphasize the wonderful detail in foliage. Alternating shiny leaves with matte ones, large leaves with small ones, delicately textured foliage with bold foliage, round leaves with long leaves, and smooth edged leaves with scalloped ones makes them stand out on their own. Placing plants with patterned foliage by solid coloured leaves adds subtle texture in the garden that is pleasing to view. Smooth leaves adjacent to fuzzy leaves makes them both more appealing. In the shade garden, it is  especially important to play up the difference between leaves, so there is always something to catch your eye.

Here are some photos of the foliage in my garden in June. Some of these perennials are topped with beautiful flowers at other times, and some have been planted mainly for their leaves.

You can find some more foliage ideas in this earlier post.

If you like photos of interesting leaves, there are some more pictures in this post.

25 Responses to “Celebrating Foliage” »

1. linda :
    June 29, 2008 at 8:08 pm

very pretty! I love your collection of ferns. Jack Frost is an especially lovely brunnera.

June 29, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Linda, I love ferns and silver foliage too. The 2 look good together in the shade or the dappled light under a tree.

3. Zoë :
    June 30, 2008 at 12:58 am

Lovely pictures, I particularly like the the silver leafed Pulmonaria which I hadn’t seen before and the Brunnera, which I have and love.

4. Victoria :
    June 30, 2008 at 3:08 am

This is where shady gardens really come into their own, isn’t it. Beautiful.

5. Jane Marie :
    June 30, 2008 at 5:54 am

This is so pretty you could make a poster of it!

June 30, 2008 at 7:38 am

Zoe, the Pulmonaria is P. x ‘Samourai’.The leaves are all silver, except the small leaves on the flower stalks which have some speckles. It shows up nicely at dusk.

Victoria, I liked the Big Green Leaf theme. On my plant spreadsheet, I’ve thought of adding another column to keep track of leaf colour.

Jane Marie , thanks. I had fun taking the pictures, but afterwards noticed that one flower sneaked in.

7. emma townshend :
    June 30, 2008 at 9:19 am

I love these photos, thank you so much for showing all this lovely northern shade planting. I have really especially fallen for those Matteuccia… going away to further investigate…

June 30, 2008 at 10:19 am

Emma, thanks for coming up with the idea to focus on foliage.

9. Rose :
    June 30, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Love all the different ferns! And Jack Frost is on my “to-buy” list for next spring.

June 30, 2008 at 2:54 pm

So lovely. I am especially fond of Jack Frost! Your ferns are incredible…you must have a bit of moisture up there.

gail

June 30, 2008 at 3:32 pm

Rose, the Jack Frost is so distinctive, yet it goes beautifully with many other plants. It’s very easy care, and adaptable to different situations. I wrote a more detailed post about it in May, http://northernshade.ca/2008/05/21/the-perfect-plant/.

Gail, I give them some supplemental water, but not having the super heat probably helps too.

12. Karen - An Artists Garden :
    June 30, 2008 at 5:13 pm

This is a lovely selection of leaves.
    The Athyrium niponicum ‘pictum’ is really interesting. And I do like Brunerra.
    Thank you for the visit to my blog – and for leaving a comment so that I could find my way here to see these lovely photos.
    Regards
    Karen

June 30, 2008 at 7:41 pm

Karen, as the Pictum gets bigger, it gets a more pronounced purple colour on the midrib, and more silvery shimmers.

14. Shirl :
    July 1, 2008 at 3:24 am

Hi there Northern Shade :-D

What a great presentation of plants. It is almost like a catalogue!

Hands down it is your selection of ferns that gets me! I seriously envy you being able to name them all too. I have had mine for many years and can only name a few now – I must sort that some day ;-)

Jack Frost I love too but he never made it to my posting. I had difficulty in deciding which ones to show and finally opted for the most green. Jack has appeared in my silver foliage posting and will return again in the future :-D

Have a great week :-D

15. Meems :
    July 1, 2008 at 5:17 am

Hi Northern Shade,
    You have such a wide range of greens… I’m especially attracted to the silvery or bluey ones you’ve featured here. But then again I really love the ferns too.

I’m very curious if all of this beautiful greenery goes away every winter and does it come back on its own?
    Very nice post!
    Meems @Hoe&Shovel

16. Sherry :
    July 1, 2008 at 6:48 am

Beautiful leaves! The way you presented your pictures is lovely. I went outside twice yesterday to take pictures of leaves and was distracted by butterflies. I have lots of pictures of butterflies on leaves…
    Nice collection of ferns.
    Loking forward to reading your journal and getting to know you.
    Sherry

July 1, 2008 at 7:37 am

Shirl, thanks. Every time I went to take a picture, Jack Frost would poke his little leaf under or over another leaf (his version of bunny ears).
    When I dig up a new bed extension and think of the plants I want to put in, the thought, “wouldn’t a fern look nice there?” frequently pops into my head.

Meems, the plants I showed were perennials ( and a couple of trees and shrubs). Most of the leaves of the perennials start to deteriorate about the end of September. They gradually die back with the frosts of October, and are usually covered in snow by the end of October or mid November. A few plants, such as the Dryopteris fern and the Campanula portenschlagiana keep their green even after the frost, but they are short and soon covered in a white blanket. Usually things start to poke up again in late April, when the snow melts.
    My gardening period is much shorter than my gardening enthusiasm. That is why, in April, I keep making the rounds of the garden, looking for signs of new shoots, and I love the spring bulbs.
    That’s also why I’ve been planting more shrubs with interesting stems too, for winter interest. My large spruce and pine trees provide the main greenery for the winter. They look beautiful with snow on their branches.

Sherry, thanks. Some of my leaves wanted to put on silver eye shadow for their portraits, but I think that butterflies are the perfect accessory for a leaf to wear.

18. Dee :
    July 1, 2008 at 7:56 am

The green is lovely! Something I don’t get too much of in the desert!

July 1, 2008 at 8:20 am

Hi Dee, I wonder how many of our plants could survive in each other’s environment?

July 1, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Nice way to display the leaves of your plants. :-) I enjoy pulmonaria also. I have several varieties. Do you have toadlilies?

July 1, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Shady Gardener, thanks. I really like the silvery colours of Pulmonaria. Unfortunately, I don’t think toad lilies will survive zone 3 reliably.

22. VP :
    July 2, 2008 at 2:24 pm

I see your shady garden has made you our greenery expert especially in the fern department. Thanks for stopping over at my place and commenting a few days ago – I’m still catching up with everyone!

July 2, 2008 at 9:37 pm

VP, there were so many different bloggers participating in the Big Green Leaf Day. I enjoyed checking out everyone’s foliage collections.

24. All About London :
    January 16, 2012 at 12:26 am

I liked reading this post, looking at the pictures. Your post is superb and helpful for visitors. I read your other articles too.
    Thanks for sharing.

Regards,.

Amelie Wakelin.

January 16, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Amelie, thanks, I’m a big fan of foliage plants in the shade garden. There are so many perennials with varied leaves that add a great deal of interest to the garden, even when they are not in bloom. Heuchera and Tiarella are some of my current favurites.