Double Flowering Campanula

Sunday, July 27, 2008 Category: Perennials

Campanula haylodgensis (Haylodge bellflower)

Campanula ‘Haylodgensis’ is a pretty bellflower with double blue flowers. I’m not sure if it is fully hardy in zone 3, but I’ll know by next spring. The zone recommendations for this perennial seem variable. [Update: the Campanula 'Haylodgensis' survived the zone 3 winter and are covered in buds the next season.]

Campanula ‘Haylodgensis’ is a cross between C. cochlearifolia (fairy thimble bellflower) and C. carpatica (Carpathian bellflower). It resembles C. cochlearifolia ‘Elizabeth Oliver’, being a low growing bellflower about 10 cm (4 in.) tall. The flowers are a similar light sky blue colour. However, they are slightly larger, more open, and have more petals than ‘Elizabeth Oliver’. Here’s a photo of an Elizabeth Oliver plant for comparison. You can read more  about ‘Elizabeth Oliver’ in this previous post.Campanula cochlearifolia \'Elizabeth Oliver\' (fairy thimble bellflower)

I’ve only had the Haylodge bellflower in my garden for a month now, but it has already becoming one of my favourite bellflowers. The flowers have a true blue colour, and being a double, they are very showy. I’m not sure of the blooming length yet, but I hope it has a long flowering time, similar to its 2 parents.

Campanula ‘Haylodgensis’ is a charming, elfin flower with a beautiful colour. I hope this perennial makes it through the winter, so I might throw an extra armload of leaves over it in the fall. Since it is a cross between 2 Campanula which do survive our cold winters, I’m optimistic about its chances.

Campanula haylodgensis (Haylodge bellflower) closeup

There is more information and pictures of another double flowering bellflower in this post.

Here is an updated post about how  Campanula ‘Haylodgensis’ survived the zone 3 winter and how well it has been doing.

22 Responses to “Double Flowering Campanula” »

1. Sheila :
    July 27, 2008 at 2:10 pm

That lovely blue campanula is one of my favorites too!

July 27, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Sheila, they do have a lovely flower. I planted a clump of 3 plants this year, to see how they do. If they perform well, I’m going to expand the patch next year.

July 27, 2008 at 5:52 pm

You have the prettiest bellflowers…I think I may have told you the I grow only one…American Bellflower/Tall Bellflower. It has a deep blue that is nearly impossible to photograph. Maybe blues are just difficult to photograph true!

gail

July 27, 2008 at 6:44 pm

Gail, the light can really alter a deep blue to a purple blue sometimes.
    I’ve been having trouble photographing some deep pink Dianthus. The pink keeps coming out with a day-glow aura.

5. Zoë :
    July 28, 2008 at 11:53 am

The doubles are so pretty. I had 3 plants similiar that I had as house plants indoors( they had been forced to flower in spring ), sitting on a window sill. Poor things flowered themselves half to death, so I gave them a severe hair cut and put them to rest in the shade outside. They seem to be recovering well, and who knows; they may flower again. I hope so.

I think you must have a Campanula thing going on?

Zoë

July 28, 2008 at 10:57 pm

Zoe, I am fond of Campanula. I find bell shaped flowers appealing, and these ones are pretty, doubled up with extra petals. They seem to be doing well so far, so I’m hoping they take after the easy care side of the bellflower group.

7. Philip :
    July 29, 2008 at 1:48 pm

I love this! One of my favorite plants.
    Regards,
    Philip

8. easygardener :
    July 29, 2008 at 2:41 pm

I’ve made a note of the double campanula which I haven’t seen before. It’s very pretty and it looks compact so I might have room for it – which makes a nice change.

July 29, 2008 at 5:23 pm

Philip, I love it too. I hope I see Haylodgensis back again next year.

Easygardener, it is very compact, and easy to tuck around other plants. It’s nice at the front, where you can see the flowers, since it’s so short.

10. Beth :
    August 3, 2008 at 7:08 am

I just planted bellflowers and I like what I’m seeing so far. The double-flowering ones are lovely and I am particularly drawn to the white ones. Can they handle partial sun? I’ll be interested to hear if they survive winter as I’m sure your Canadian winters can be just as harsh as ours here in ND!

August 3, 2008 at 8:34 am

Beth, most bellflowers handle part shade fine. Campanula portenschlagiana (Dalmation bellflower) and Campanula poscharskyana (Serbian bellflower) tolerate even more shade. Both of them are low growing spreaders. Campanula carpatica (carpathian bellflower), also fairly short, is almost as tolerant of medium shade, but does get more flowers in part shade.
    I’ve found a number that thrive well in a cold climate. Here is a list from a previous post, http://northernshade.ca/2008/07/12/beautiful-bellflowers/, of bellflowers that do well in my zone 3 garden.

12. Marisa :
    May 25, 2009 at 3:11 pm

I have a few pots of these lovely Double Flowering Campanula and I am wondering if they flower only once and die (the flower) or will they re-bloom. Should I trim off the dead flowersw?

May 25, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Marisa, both of these double flowering Campanula, the Campanula cochlearifolia ‘Elizabeth Oliver’ and Campanula ‘Haylodgensis’ are perennial. They both come back in a zone 3 garden, so they are hardy. Both are fairly long flowering in my garden too. They start in June and continue until fall. I do snip off the dead flowers, which might prolong the bloom time. The new growth shows fairly early in the spring.

14. Stella :
    July 27, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Thank you so much. I was afraid this lovely double Campanuals will not survive our winter. I am so happy to find out I don’t have to bring them in. Thank you.

July 27, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Stella, I’ve been pleased with both of these double flowering Campanula. The Campanula ‘Haylodgensis’ and Campanula cochlearifolia ‘Elizabeth Oliver’ both survived a zone 3 winter and are doing well. ‘Elizabeth Oliver is in bloom right now and looking beautiful. Haylodgensis has many buds, and they are just about to open.

Some of the deciduous tree leaves fell on them to provide a natural mulch for the winter, but they didn’t receive any other protection.

16. Jones in the Garden :
    June 2, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Hello from Holand!!,

I just bought this plant from supermarket because of it’s lovely,they looklike small rose. I was wondering if this can survive our winter in holland that is why i am at your page now. Happy to know that have a chance ^-^

June 2, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Jones in the Garden, they survived our winter outside, which went down colder than -40º C (-40º F). It is surprising, because they have such a delicate look.

18. Sammybelle :
    June 4, 2010 at 7:20 am

My Haylodge came without any care instructions (or variety name, for that matter!) So if someone could tell me what the optimal light requirements are, I would be very grateful. Right now I have it planted in a pot in a spot where it begins getting sun at 11am and continues through the hot afternoon till about 4pm. I am in Massachusetts, Zone 5. Thank you!!

June 4, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Sammybelle, I’ve found they do well in a part-shade location, but don’t produce as many or as upright flowers in too shady of a location. I haven’t tried it in full direct sunlight yet.

20. Michelle :
    April 11, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I’m in Buffalo NY. I have been trying to find these flowers for 2 years now. Does anyone know where can I purchase these beautiful campanula haylodgensis flowers?

April 12, 2011 at 7:24 am

Michelle, I purchased mine from Holes Greenhouse in Edmonton, Canada. Unfortunately, they don’t ship outside of Canada. I hope you find a local supplier, or one who mails to your area. Despite their delicate appearance, C. Haylodgensis has been very hardy for me, and they do look great in the garden.

22. Maria :
    March 12, 2012 at 12:01 pm

One of my friends just gave me a beautiful double flowering campanula. She purchased it in Atlanta, GA. I live in Tampa, FL, which is where this beauty will live. Unfortunately, it did not come with any instructions. Would you please give me all the information necessary to keep this beautiful plant alive in our very hot climate? I specifically would like to know if I should keep it indoors, outside in a pot or outside in the ground. I’ve had it since mid-February and it is still full of tiny gorgeous blooms that resemble miniature periwinkle-blue roses! Thank you. MPA