Merry Christmas

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 Category: General

Here are some of the ornaments on my Christmas tree.

brown bird in nest

brown bird in nest

The birds are from when I was young and belonged to the Young Naturalist Society. My father enrolled me in their bird of the month club. Each month I received a new bird in the mail, and now about 50 of them perch or nest in the Christmas tree. I got my love of nature, the outdoors and gardening from my father.

heart wreath

heart wreath

The tiny wreaths, boxes and cross stitch are ornaments I made. The little present ornaments are wrapped with paper that I hand printed. I carved the design and used ink to print them on tissue paper.

fireplace fire

fireplace fire

Here is a fire in my fireplace to add extra warmth on our cold frosty days of -30° C (-22° F). On Christmas the wind chill is supposed to be -39° C (-38° F). This will be a good test for the hardiness of some of the new plants I added this year.

Christmas bears

Christmas bears

The Christmas bear family wish you a Merry Christmas.

20 Responses to “Merry Christmas” »

December 24, 2008 at 1:41 pm

Thank you and a very Merry Christmas to you! Love the ornaments! The birds are delightful..50 of them, that is a nice sized collection. What a lovely connection to your father.

You are a very crafty gardener! gail

December 24, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Gail, I hope you are enjoying the time with your family. Right now I’m doing most of my bird watching through a window.

3. Amy :
    December 24, 2008 at 10:09 pm

Merry Christmas! I think I need a bird of the month club too. I love just about anything bird themed, but especially tree ornaments! It’s been really cold here too for the past too weeks, but warmed up a bit today and now it’s snowing. I’m glad we had a good snowcover before the artic blast hit us!

December 24, 2008 at 11:29 pm

Amy, I hope you are snug, warm, and admiring your Christmas tree now. Have a wonderful Christmas.

5. Karin A :
    December 25, 2008 at 1:51 am

You really have cold weather so I can understand it’s nice with a fire place. It looks great! Your tree with those birds are beautiful too. Merry Christmas or as we say in Sweden: God Jul!

6. Ken from Sweden :
    December 25, 2008 at 8:56 am

Marry Christmas to yoy from Ken&Carina in Sweden.
    Lovely Christmasdecorations in you christmastree.

December 25, 2008 at 9:52 am

Karin A, God Jul. It’s a little warmer today than was predicted, but my garden is still best viewed from a window in this weather.

Ken & Carina, God Jul. I hope you are enjoying your tree now too.

8. Curmudgeon :
    December 25, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Warm wishes for a very merry Christmas to you and yours. We’re having to work extra hard down here in Seattle to keep our coffee warm! Thanks for stopping by and leaving us a comment.

December 26, 2008 at 8:40 am

Curmudgeon, it looked like a good time to be snug indoors, and not traveling. Have a happy gardening year.

10. Marnie :
    December 26, 2008 at 9:57 am

Friday morning, the day after Christmas. I hope it was a wonderful Christmas for you. Love your fireplace. Wish I had one here, the nights have been so very cold.
    Marnie

December 26, 2008 at 10:26 am

Marnie, it wasn’t as cold a day on Christmas as was forecasted, but it was still a good day to stay cozy inside. The fireplace is great for extra warmth, and for using up some of the extra willow branches.

12. Victoria :
    December 26, 2008 at 10:34 am

I loved seeing your tree ornaments. They really are a labour of love – like a Christmas story in themselves. Happy Christmas!

December 26, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Victoria, I have fun making ornaments for the tree. I have a few ornaments that belonged to my parents, and were on our tree when I was young, that are especially sentimental.
    I hope you had a wonderful Christmas dinner, both vegetarian and traditional.

14. Gunilla :
    December 26, 2008 at 1:06 pm

You have a very nice looking Christmas tree. The birds and all the ornaments looks great.
    I hope you had a lovely Christmas evening,
    Now I´ll Wish you and your family a Happy new Year.

Gunilla in Sweden

15. Sowing The Seeds :
    December 26, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Beautiful photos of your lovely ornaments. I was reading your post to my hubby and we were both shocked to see you have -30 deg. That is so cold we just cant imagine it. But you have a beautiful big fireplace to keep you warm :) Merry Christmas.

December 26, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Gunilla, thank you, we did have a wonderful Christmas, and are still enjoying the Christmas turkey dinner leftovers.
    Have a great gardening year in 2009.

Sowing the Seeds, the weather has slowed down my gardening efforts. It is supposed to warm up temporarily this weekend, so perhaps I’ll get some more garden photographs. I was out trying to take photos of the garden, and I couldn’t operate the shutter with my thick ski gloves, so I would quickly whip off my gloves, snap the picture, and put them on again while my fingers still wiggled. The deep cold temperatures kept using up the camera battery, and shutting the camera off on me.
    Perhaps I need a camera heater, like the block heater I use to keep the car warm enough to start in the cold. :)

December 30, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Northern Shade (my shady kinswoman!) I love your homey tree and the wonderful ornaments. I have one of those skinny trees that I keep up all year to hold my little bird collection. :-) What a wonderful tribute to your father. Is he still living? If so, does he know how he’s influenced you?
    Best wishes to you for 2009!

December 30, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Shady Gardener, my father is gone now, but I think he knew his influence, we used to enjoy going for hikes and walks together.

Happy New Year.

19. Sunita :
    January 4, 2009 at 7:19 pm

SG, what lovely ornaments! How nice to have reminders of the wonderful memories your father has obviously bequeathed you.
    I love decorating our version of the Christmas tree. Dont laugh, but in tropical lands like mine, with no access to spruce / pine / fir, we use whatever comes to hand. I’ve used branches of Silver Oak and Casuarina at various times in my home and I’ve seen branches of mango trees also being used. It looks nowhere like the pyramidal Christmas trees you’re used to but the whole idea is having fun decorating it, isnt it? :D

January 4, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Sunita, there are many sentimental ornaments on the tree, and I think of many past Christmas gatherings when I decorate it. I thinks it’s lovely to use the natural branches that you have nearby. Besides, a few mangoes hanging from the tree will be all the more decorative. :)