Campanula Haylodgensis a Double Bellflower

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 Category: Perennials

Campanula ‘Haylodgensis’ (haylodge bellflower) is a sweet double flowering Campanula with small lavender blue flowers on a dwarf plant. The many folded petals on each flower are exquisite. These bellflower plants looks delicate, but they have overwintered in zone 3 very well.

Campanula haylodgensis (haylodge bellflower) blue flowers 2

Campanula haylodgensis (haylodge bellflower) blue flowers 2

Haylodgensis is a cross between Campanula cochlearifolia (fairy thimble bellflower) and Campanula carpatica (carpathian bellflower), both of which grow well in my garden. You can see many of their traits in these plants. The double flowers remind me of the C. cochlearifolia ‘Elizabeth Oliver’ double, but these are about twice the size.

My group of Haylodgensis are currently growing in a spot that’s probably a little too shady, but they still get a good number of flowers. They are not as upright, because their current garden site gets more shade than I thought it would when I first planted them. They have tolerated a low amount of light in my garden, but when they are finished blooming this year I’m going to transplant them to a part-shade garden area that gets a bit more sun.

Campanula haylodgensis (haylodge bellflower) blue flowers 3

Campanula haylodgensis (haylodge bellflower) blue flowers 3

The  flowers of haylodge bellflower are like miniature rose flowers, with petals that curve back slightly. They face mostly upwards and outwards, so they are easy to admire. In the above photo I seem to have captured mostly the back of the pretty flowers, but it does show their wonderful colour. These plants didn’t start blooming until the beginning of August in my garden, which is the latest of all of my Campanula. I wonder if they would start blooming earlier with a little more light too.

The dwarf perennials are about 10 cm (4 inches) tall, so they look good at the front of the border, where you can easily admire the beautiful lavender blue petals. Mine are planted next to a sidewalk, and they soften the edge.

Campanula ‘Haylodgensis’ are more hardy than their dainty look suggests. They are a charming little perennial, covered in  beautiful flowers, with a multitude of petals. You can read about another double bellflower, ‘Elizabeth Oliver’, in this follow up post.

Campanula haylodgensis (haylodge bellflower) blue flowers 1

Campanula haylodgensis (haylodge bellflower) blue flowers 1

23 Responses to “Campanula Haylodgensis a Double Bellflower” »

1. Sheila :
    August 25, 2009 at 8:34 pm

One of my favorites!

2. Rebecca :
    August 25, 2009 at 9:44 pm

What a delightful cross, the double flowers are charming! I’m not familiar with this species, but it’s parents are 2 of my favorites, and it is just lovely. NS, how do you photograph your blue flowers so well? I find the blue & purple colours very hard to capture accurately. :)

August 25, 2009 at 11:00 pm

They are just incredibly cute, aren’t they. They could be roses in a dollhouse vase. :)

August 25, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Sheila, These cute little blooms are one of my favourites too. The petite flowers don’t look as hardy as they have proved to be. I’ve seen ‘Haylodgensis’ generally rated for warmer zones, so I was pleased that all of the plants overwintered fine.

Rebecca, these are as endearing as C. cochlearifolia and C. carpatica.

I’m not exactly sure, but my basic camera settings seem to capture the blues and purples very well. The colours are very close to real life. It’s the dark rose pinks that I have the most trouble with. I also had trouble getting the little white flowers of the spring bulbs without them looking washed out.

The Garden Ms. S, the ‘Haylodgensis flowers are beautifully formed for being so small. I like the way each petal tip curves backwards slightly. Because of the overall blue colour, they look good from a distance, but they are captivating up close, when you see the many petals.

5. muhammad khabbab :
    August 26, 2009 at 2:55 am

i have always wished to grow these plants but my sub-tropical climate(10b) does not allow much liberty as far as Campanulas are concerned as they are not suited much to plains. i am determined to sow seeds of canterberry bells this fall and see what happens.

These pics are beautiful i must say. i just adore these flowers.

August 26, 2009 at 6:02 am

I have just seen these recently at a garden center and they do indeed look like tiny roses ! .. It is amazing something so delicate looking can be so hardy too : )

August 26, 2009 at 9:42 am

Muhammad, thanks, it’s too bad that the Campanula don’t do well in your zone, since there are many beautiful plants in this genus. The biennial canterbury bells might work for you, good luck with them. It’s always fun to experiment, and see what you can grow.

Joy, I was happy to see these return in spring. They had some leaf cover mulch, but otherwise they toughed out the cold well.

8. Pomona Belvedere :
    August 26, 2009 at 3:08 pm

What a beautiful campanula; I wonder where the name came from? And as it happens, this is an appropriate post for me to tell you that I’ve just given you a MeMe award, citing your foliage ideas and campanula knowledge. If you want to accept it, go to http://www.tulipsinthewoods.com/cataloguebookwebsite-reviews/beautiful-blogs/ to check out how it works. If you don’t have the time and inclination, just bask in the knowledge of my appreciation.

August 26, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Pomona, both the tag and Graham Nicholls in his book Dwarf Campanulas say that it was raised at Haylodge, in Scotland, in 1885. It may have been around for a while, but I don’t see it available very much. For such an attractive plant, I’m surprised that it is not more widely offered. Graham Nicholls also states that the original might not have been a double.

Thank you for the award. It was thoughtful of you.

10. Gayle from ohio :
    October 18, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Thank you !!!!Ihave been trying to find out what kind of campanula this cute flower is, searched tons of web sites!! Yours was the first.

October 18, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Gayle, you’re welcome. Campanula ‘Haylodgensis’ has such an elfin charm, that you wouldn’t think it was hardy. It has survived – 35° C (-31° F) temperatures in winter, and bloomed well. I love the flower colour, and the petal arrangement.

12. Geottski :
    May 7, 2011 at 9:46 am

Thanks for the info everyone. Just picked up one of these for my Mum tomorrow. lol

May 7, 2011 at 9:50 am

Geottski, it will make a great gift. It’s easy to care for, and the flowers are so pretty.

14. Évi :
    May 27, 2011 at 12:21 am

Hello!

This is the first time I have read your website. I’ve found it accidentally. You can’t imagine how many times I searched for Campanula Haylodgensis but there were any information about it on the net, only about other kind of bellflowers. I have a question about this bellflower and I would be very happy if you could help me with your answer. Unfortunately I haven’t got any garden. I live in a block of flats and my plants grow in flowerpots , in my room. I got Campanula Haylodgensis from my boyfriend to my birthday so it means a lot for me. But unfortunately in spite of I watered it regularly, it started to shrivel up. What’s more, I have to get rid of two really tiny slugs from its black mould. Now it’s totally shriveled up, there is only a little part of its root on the black mould. What’s your opinion, despite it could I revive it? If I removed the root and put it to water and then planted in new black mould, would it resuscitate?
    Sorry if my question was silly but I’m not an expert of plants.
    Thank you for your answer in advance. :) Greetings from Hungary.

May 27, 2011 at 7:54 am

Évi, it is unfortunate that your double Campanula isn’t doing well, and that the slugs have attacked it. If all of the leaves are totally gone, it might be that the plant won’t come back. If there is enough of the healthy plant left, you could replant it in another container with fresh soil, or try scrubbing the old pot down to get rid of any slug eggs. I would check what’s left of the plant for any signs of more slugs. Although they can handle part shade in the garden, they would need a bright window if they are inside. Also check that you don’t overwater it, and let the very top of the soil dry out a bit in between watering. Good luck with the plant, as they are a really beautiful flower.

16. Évi :
    May 27, 2011 at 10:47 am

Northern Shade, thank you for your answer. :) This week I will replant it, I hope, replanting will help. But if this trial fails, I will buy another one because it is really beautiful.
    And I will check your website other times, as well. :)

May 27, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Évi, I hope you do manage to revive the plant. Thanks for visiting.

18. Fred :
    February 9, 2013 at 3:32 am

I am charmed by your website!

I recently bought two C. Haylodgensis in our local Lidl store -one blue and the other white. I am curious to note that none of your correspondents mention the existence of a white variety.

February 9, 2013 at 7:36 am

Fred, I haven’t seen C. Haylodgensis being offered around here in white, but would definitely add some to my garden, as the white would easily coordinate with other plants. Plus, in a part shade site, the white flowers would show up well and lighten the area.

20. Fred :
    February 14, 2013 at 3:31 am

The C. Haylodgensis plants, one blue and one white, that I bought (at Lidl’s, here in County Dublin)came from Denmark (www.50015.dk).

February 14, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Fred, thanks for the info. I grow many different Campanula as they work so well in part shade, flower freely, and many have a long season of bloom. Here are some of my other Campanula.

22. Monica :
    February 15, 2013 at 4:15 am

15 Feb 2013.

Enjoyed all info, most helpful, bought 2 just an hour ago, Lidl Ely Cardiff
    a lovely addition for our rockery. Can’t wait to plant them..

February 15, 2013 at 7:58 am

Monica, they would be perfect in a rockery, where you can appreciate the charming blooms without the small plants getting lost in the garden. I have mine now at the front of a border, very near a pine tree, and they do surprisingly well in the site.