Tulipa ‘Foxtrot’ a Pink Double Early Tulip

Sunday, June 6, 2010 Category: Bulbs

pink Tulipa 'Foxtrot' with DicentraThe Tulipa ‘Foxtrot’ (Foxtrot tulips)  have developed wonderful pink tones, now that they’re fully open. With their extra petals, these tulips look beautiful in the garden. They are in Division 2, which are double early tulips. I wrote about the ‘Foxtrot’ tulip combined with the blue Muscari before, but I don’t think I emphasized how wonderfully pink they really are.

Tulipa 'Foxtrot' 2 double pink tulips

Tulipa 'Foxtrot' 2 double pink tulips

‘Foxtrot’ flowers have various shades, from a light shell pink, through medium to rose pink. The blush shading of pink and white on each petal is very attractive. When they first open, each petal is almost pure white, before they develop their mature colour. The double petals can have a bit of a ruffle around the edges, giving them an attractive shape, almost like a peony. If they packed any more petals into the flower, they would look like my ‘Sarah Bernhardt’ peony blooms.

Tulipa 'Foxtrot' 3 double tulips

Tulipa 'Foxtrot' 3 double tulips

These tulips also have a wonderful scent. I was pleasantly surprised by the sweet fragrance a group of them can give off. It reminds me a bit of my lilac. Between the lilac, tulips and lily of the valley, the garden is deliciously perfumed right now.

pink Tulipa 'Foxtrot' and blue Muscari

pink Tulipa 'Foxtrot' and blue Muscari

The above picture show the edge of the Muscari armeniacum ‘Blue Spike’ (grape hyacinth) group in front of the tulips. I’ve got over 50 ‘Foxtrot’ tulips planted in this group, and with the Muscari in front it is my favourite garden section right now. They look terrific with the smaller blue bulbs.

Tulipa ‘Foxtrot’ are a little shorter and sturdier, so they remain upright, even when they get a bit of snow. Because they are 30 to 35 cm (12 to 14 in), they look balanced when combined with shorter bulbs, like the Muscari.

With the cooler weather, these spring bulbs have been blooming for three weeks already and are still going strong. I’m very pleased with their vigour and appearance so far.  I planted them last Autumn, but since they are in a part shade location, I’m not sure yet how strongly they will come back next year.

Update:

These tulips are still doing well in their third spring. You can see how they look now, including the Tiarella that I’ve combined with the spring bulbs in this more recent post.

I’ve made a gallery to show how pretty the ‘Foxtrot’ tulips look in a group as well as up close. You can click any of the small photos to see it full sized. It’s a pink extravaganza.

30 Responses to “Tulipa ‘Foxtrot’ a Pink Double Early Tulip” »

1. Diane :
    June 6, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Oh, these are just beautiful. I’m glad you added this post with more pictures and information about the ‘Foxtrot’ tulips. They are a treat!

June 6, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Diane, I love looking out the window at this garden area right now. They make a great display.

June 6, 2010 at 9:40 pm

What a luscious looking flower! I think a swath of 50 sounds like a goodly number to really enjoy the impact. They are very pretty and I love the clear pink.

June 6, 2010 at 9:55 pm

How soft & frilly. So many lovely shades of pink and they really seem to have darkened. I hope they come back well for you next year. :)

June 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm

The Garden Ms. S, this group is the most noticeable section in the garden now, and I’ve been pleased with how long it has flowered.

Rebecca, I hope they come back, too. Tonight I just chased off a rabbit who was munching on a Muscari bloom in front of this bed. At first it was munching yarrow in the lawn, which is fine with me. I hope it doesn’t come back for a tulip dessert. Luckily, I haven’t had many problems with rabbits before. Perhaps they will stick with munching lawn weeds.

6. Isehakanud Lillekasvataja :
    June 7, 2010 at 4:20 am

Thank You for this lovely blog!

June 7, 2010 at 7:14 am

Isehakanud Lillekasvataja, Foxtrot is a very nice looking tulip. I liked so many of the pictures, that I had trouble narrowing it down. :)

8. Barbarapc :
    June 7, 2010 at 11:14 am

Foxtrot really is an enchanting tulip. And, it has a beautiful scent – how can you not fall in love. It’s one I’ll put on my wish list for this fall.

9. Sweetbay :
    June 7, 2010 at 11:38 am

Fragrant and gorgeous too! What a beautiful tulip.

10. Jennifer :
    June 7, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Very pretty pink tulip! The close ups photos show it to perfection.

11. Marnie :
    June 7, 2010 at 2:44 pm

They are simply beautiful. Wonderful shades of pink. I think there is one left of the package of six I bought several years ago.
    Marnie

12. Lusthuset :
    June 7, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I’m glad you vistit me on my blogg. Thank you for your nice comments. I have made a little search and I think that the hostas you ast for is Hosta undulata ‘Univittata’. Have a nice evening and a beautyful spring.

13. Laura :
    June 7, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Very nice. They really do look like peony blooms!

June 7, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Barbarapc, I’d like to plant more of these, too. I wasn’t expecting a strong scent, but with the large group you notice it. At first I thought it was my lilac drifting, or the neighbour’s lilac, but I bent over and it was definitely coming from the tulips.

Sweetbay, I am enamoured of their lovely blooms this spring.

Jennifer, when you look closely, you can see the beautiful blending of white and pink on the petals, and the little scalloped edges.

Marnie, if these decline next year, I’d like to plant more of them in that spot. I’m not sure if they’ll like the siting or not, but they sure look good with the grape hyacinths.

Luthuset, thanks for the information on the Hosta.

Laura, they are reminiscent of my favourite peony, which hasn’t bloomed yet. Maybe I’ll plant some Foxtrot around it, to get some pink blooms next year before the peony.

June 8, 2010 at 4:37 am

Oh My …. you have me totally lusting after this gorgeous beauty !
    I love the shades of pink and especially how sturdy this tulip is .. I just dug up my smaller bulb bed to plant a Japanese Maple in the middle so it can be surrounded by Spring bulbs for next year .. you really have me hooked with this and such gorgeous pictures of them : )
    Joy

June 8, 2010 at 6:58 am

Joy, I like your idea for the bulb bed under the Japanese maple. I would plant more of the Foxtrot tulips in my garden, as they are very lovely.

17. Maria Berg :
    June 8, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I have a dubble pink this year too – love it. MB

June 8, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Maria, you have to love extra petals on a pretty flower.

June 9, 2010 at 8:31 am

They are quite a vision Northern Shade. Your gallery is incredible too. It’s wonderful they’ve bloomed so long ~ something that spectacular should be enjoyed for as long as possible!

20. waltraud :
    June 9, 2010 at 9:46 am

The Tulpia *Foxtrot* provides simply lovely, a beautiful color!

Best regards Waltraud

21. Birgitta :
    June 9, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Lovely tulips – I like the color very much.
    Birgitta

June 9, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Kathleen, that was one advantage of a cold spring, some of the bulbs bloomed for extended periods. Foxtrot has impressed me as they still look at their peak.

Waltraud, I like the delicacy of the colour. It’s very spring like.

Birgitta, the colour coordinates well with all of the blue flowers blooming right now.

23. regina :
    June 10, 2010 at 9:39 am

hello,
    your tulips looks so pretty!!!!
    they have a romantical colors.i like it very much.
    have a nice day
    greetings from germany,regina

June 10, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Regina, they are romantic looking, with the soft colour and the softened edges on the petals.

June 10, 2010 at 5:23 pm

What a beautiful bed of tulips!!! How are you these days?? :-)

June 10, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Shady Gardener, some plants look good in big groups don’t they? The other perennials around them are getting ready to bloom soon, like the Dicentra, and the Campanula at the front will join them in a few weeks.

27. Christine :
    February 10, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Oh my – you are my “Tulip growing hero”. I simply LOVE Tulips and we spend a fortune on them as cut flowers every year, so this year I am planning to plant masses of them in our garden. Will definitely refer to you and your blog for tips as it will be a first time for me. Your photos are simply gorgeous!

February 10, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Christine, I especially like the petal shape on these tulips, with the generous silhouette, and the slightly ruffled edges. Foxtrot tulips are initially white in colour when they open, and then develop more pink shades. They look great as a large group, so I extended the planting this fall, and am looking forward to seeing them again next spring.

29. Amy :
    August 8, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Just curious how the foxtrot tulips have fared over the last couple years. Have you found them to be hardy for you? How much shade do they get in their location. I see alot of discussion about tulips needing full sun.

August 8, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Amy, the tulips are not as reliable as many of the smaller bulbs. They are in part shade, and our winters are very cold, and about 3/4 of them came back. Those that did return had good sized flowers that were very healthy, making a nice display still. I will have to augment them this fall to keep up a good sized group. I did leave the foliage on until it withered to give them a chance to replenish for the following season. With their strikingly good looks and extra full sized flowers, I think it is worth planting them, since they were one of my favourite garden sections when they were in bloom.