Heuchera Cinnabar Silver

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 Category: Perennials

Heuchera ‘Cinnabar Silver’ (coral bells) has beautifully patterned leaves of silver purple with reddish purple marks along the veins. As well as the great evergreen foliage, this perennial sends up spikes of dark red flowers. It is a great ornamental plant for the shade.

Heuchera 'Cinnabar Silver' (coral bells) with purple leaves

Heuchera 'Cinnabar Silver' (coral bells) with purple leaves

The ornate leaves of this Heuchera have a purple base with a silver sheen. Running along the veins of the leaves are dark purple lines in wonderful patterns, which can be a reddish colour, too.  The rich colour overlays pop in the shade. Best of all, the evergreen leaves last all season, even after frost sets in. They keep the garden looking fresh, when other plants are retreating underground for winter. This foliage looks good with other purple, green or silver leaves. Here are more pictures of the Heuchera foliage in my garden.

Heuchera 'Cinnabar Silver' (coral bells) red flowers and purple leaves

Heuchera 'Cinnabar Silver' (coral bells) red flowers and purple leaves

‘Cinnabar Silver’ is adorned with dark, slightly brownish, red flower spikes. The flowers really stand out when displayed against a silver or grey background in the garden. In the picture above, an Athyrium ‘Ghost’ (ghost fern) makes a super foil to show off the darker blooms. The flower spikes are much thicker than many Heuchera, and the flowers larger, so they make a good display. These plants bloomed for over 6 weeks, with a beautiful display.

Heuchera 'Cinnabar Silver' (coral bells) red flowers with Epimedium behind

Heuchera 'Cinnabar Silver' (coral bells) red flowers with Epimedium behind

The colour combinations of  this coral bells turn a a darker shade area into a colourful garden. The picture above shows another group of this Heuchera in front of some Epimedium. The purple foliage is highly decorative, even without flowers, but the flowers are very appealing on ‘Cinnabar Silver’, unlike many other Heuchera. This is a more compact form of coral bells. The leaves are about 15 cm (6 inches ) tall, while the flowers spikes are up to 53 cm (21 inches) high.

Heuchera 'Cinnabar Silver' (coral bells) with Hosta in front

Heuchera 'Cinnabar Silver' (coral bells) with Hosta in front

This photo shows the flowers of Heuchera ‘Cinnabar Silver’ behind the purple flowers of Hosta ‘Ginko Craig’, which is very hardy. The lavender flowers of the Hosta coordinate nicely with the Heuchera leaves. Since the Heuchera were just planted earlier this year, I’ll know more about their natural flowering time next year. Even if they don’t flower at the same time, I’m happy with the combination of lavender Hosta flowers and silvery purple leaves of coral bells.

I often choose different coral bells based on the wonderful foliage colours, but Heuchera  ‘Cinnabar Silver’ is one that you can plant both for the showy flowers and the colourful leaves. It is definitely a desirable shade plant. Aren’t those flowers below pretty? You can read and see more about other Heuchera in this post.

Heuchera 'Cinnabar Silver' (coral bells) red flowers closeup

Heuchera 'Cinnabar Silver' (coral bells) red flowers closeup

8 Responses to “Heuchera Cinnabar Silver” »

September 28, 2010 at 9:16 am

Such beautiful leaves, and vibrant spikes. So lovely with the fern backdrop. :)

September 28, 2010 at 11:50 am

Rebecca, this Heuchera seems to have been bred to have the complete package of outstanding leaves and flowers.

September 28, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Wow, what a stunning combination. Some plant breeder had a good eye for colour! :)
    I was wondering if other’s heucheras around here kept thier colour this year. My ‘Plum Royale’ didn’t have the pewter sheen on the leaves at all this year. It is a very pretty plum, but no pewter.

September 28, 2010 at 2:05 pm

You have so many lovely heuchera. I liked the photo of heuchera and hosta very much. Beautiful colours together!

5. Catherine :
    September 28, 2010 at 3:43 pm

What a pretty Heuchera! I’ve never seen a darker colored one with flowers that color, they always seem to be white. That will be a good one to plant in my shady shed bed. It looks like it tolerates being under pine trees well.

September 28, 2010 at 5:02 pm

The Garden Ms. S, my Heuchera kept their colours, including those with pewter or silver tones. I find that some of them develop even darker colours in the Fall, though. ‘Plum Pudding’ kept it’s silvery purple colour all season. ‘Mint Frost’ develops dark red and purple colours along the normally green veins as the frosts come, and ‘Green Spice’ got a touch darker along the veins.

Marit, the Hosta ‘Ginko Craig’ gets a lot of blooms in deepest shade, and I like them with this Heuchera.

Catherine, ‘Cinnabar Silver’ has been doing very well in the evergreen shade. I wanted a Heuchera with shorter flowers, since some of the branches are quite low, and I didn’t want them getting tangled up.

7. debsgarden :
    September 30, 2010 at 6:28 pm

I am definitely becoming a heuchera fan! And ‘Cinnabar Silver’ is truly stunning, both flower and foliage. I love the way it combines with other plants, and I want it for my own garden.

September 30, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Debsgarden, I appreciate them more all the time, too. With the variety of colours, it’s easy to find a Heuchera to match up with most other plants. I’ve planted many more Heuchera, Tiarella and Heucherella this summer, and I think they improved any border I planted them in. Lately, I’ve been adding more of the ones with both great foliage and flowers.

I’m just finishing an article about a really nice Tiarella, and will probably post it in the morning.