Heucherella with Pretty Pink Flowers

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 Category: Perennials
Heucherella 'Dayglow Pink' pink with athyrium ghost fern

Heucherella ‘Dayglow Pink’ pink with athyrium ghost fern

The pretty pink flowers and attractive leaves of Heucherella (foamy bells) have been looking fantastic the garden for the last few months. These hybrids are crosses between two of my favourites, Heuchera (coral bells) and Tiarella (foamflower). They make very decorative plants for a part shade to medium shade garden site. The two varieties I’ve grown have attractive marking on their leaves, down the centre of each lobe. Heucherella also have showy blooms, unlike many of the Heuchera that were bred for fantastic leaf colour and sometimes lack on the flower side.

Heucherella 'Tapestry' pink flower closeup

Heucherella ‘Tapestry’ pink flower closeup

Heucherella ‘Tapestry’ has spikes of pretty pink flowers. They start as cones with tight rose pink buds, and open to the frothy light and medium pink flowers.

Heucherella 'Tapestry' leaf detail

Heucherella ‘Tapestry’ leaf detail

The green leaves are well marked with dark patches along their centres. It is a very attractive effect, and they are a pleasing change from the more solid green leaves of the garden. Their broad shape with deep lobes is more substantial than many other leaves, so they look great as a contrast next to the feathery texture of ferns and Astilbe. If a garden is a mass of small leaves, they all tend to blend together, and it looks a little bland when not in bloom. Some colourfully decorated leaves with different shapes , like Heucherella, make for a much livelier garden.

Heucherella 'Tapestry' foamy bells foliage colours

Heucherella ‘Tapestry’ foamy bells foliage colours

In this photo, you can see how the leaf colour changes as they mature over the season. Some leaves have a silvery cast to them, reminding me of Heuchera ‘Green Spice’ or ‘Mint Frost’, while the small newer leaves are a lighter green with purplish maroon centres.

Heucherella 'Tapestry' foamy bells plant

Heucherella ‘Tapestry’ foamy bells plant

This group of ‘Tapestry’ have a tall Actaea (bugbane) planted behind them. The leaves look especially glossy as the picture was taken in the rain. We’ve had so much rain this summer that I’ve barely watered my garden, except for new plantings.

Heucherella 'Tapestry' with pink flowers and Campanula cochlearifolia behind

Heucherella ‘Tapestry’ with pink flowers and Campanula cochlearifolia behind

The ‘Tapestry’ foamflowers are in a slightly raised garden bed next to my patio. Beyond the Heucherella are some Campanula cochlearifolia (fairy thimble bellflower), whose blue flowers go great with the pink spikes of the Heucherella. In between the two is an Osmunda regalis (royal fern).

Heucherella 'Dayglow Pink' flowers

Heucherella ‘Dayglow Pink’ flowers

My other Heucherella is ‘Dayglow Pink’, which have bright pink flowers that are actually more natural looking than their name suggests. These have been very long blooming for me, and keep sending up new spikes. The flowering started in May, and the foamy bells are still going strong at the end of July.

Heucherella 'Dayglow Pink' group of foamy bells plants

Heucherella ‘Dayglow Pink’ group of foamy bells plants

This photo was from a little earlier in the season, so you can see the smaller flower spikes that are just developing.The Heucherella ‘Dayglow Pink’ have an Athyrium ‘Ghost’ fern to one side, and a group of Heuchera ‘Raspberry Ice’ (coral bells) is visible in the front right corner. The ‘Raspberry Ice’ have darker pink flower spikes that blend well with these. It’s a Heuchera that has an excellent combination of flowers and leaves.

Heucherella 'Dayglow Pink' leaves

Heucherella ‘Dayglow Pink’ pink leaves

The leaves of ‘Dayglow Pink’ are a lighter green, with narrower dark brown markings along the centres of the individual lobes. The markings are not as visible as ‘Tapestry’, but still add a little extra interest.

Heucherella 'Dayglow Pink' with convallaria

Heucherella ‘Dayglow Pink’ with convallaria

Here is a shot of ‘Dayglow Pink’ from earlier in the season when the Convallaria (lily of the valley) were flowering. I really enjoyed the dainty white bells with the fuzzy Heucherella flower spikes. You can see more photos of  Dayglow Pink, and how it combines with Tiarella (foamflower) plants.

My Heucherella are in medium shade sites, where many perennials can be sparse with their blooms. However, these produce a good amount of flowers for their shady locations, making a great display. Over the last couple of years I’ve been adding a lot more Tiarella and Heucherella varieties, since they perform so well in the shade and look good all season.

The foamy bells plants are about 20 cm (8in) tall by 35 cm (14 in) wide, and the flowers are 40 cm (16 in) tall, so they look good at the front of a border, where you can see them. The foliage makes an excellent edging as it is neat and has an interesting shape, while the flowers show especially well with greenery behind them, like the silver coloured fern or the Actaea leaves.

I’ve read that some gardeners have not found Heucherella to be as robust in their gardens, but I’ve been very pleased with the hardiness of these two, since all of my plants survived winter temperatures down to – 40 C (- 40 F) with no problems. It’s all very well to have pretty flowers and nice leaves, but a perennial has to be able to survive winter without a down parka. In their second season in my garden, both of these hybrids are showing a lot of vigour. The last picture is a closeup of a ‘Tapestry’ flower.

Heucherella 'Tapestry' with pink flower spikes

Heucherella ‘Tapestry’ with pink flower spikes

18 Responses to “Heucherella with Pretty Pink Flowers” »

1. Ms. S :
    July 26, 2011 at 12:03 pm

These are lovely, and it’s great to hear the flowers are so long lasting.
    My Heuchera are finally blooming with almost no sun lately. I have one Tiarella; however, it appears something got to the flowers just before they opened. I have seen a brown hare in my garden so I giving him the stink eye on this one. :)

July 26, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Ms. S, I’ve been really pleased with the long blooming time of these Heucherella,

It’s too bad about your Tiarella flowers, since they are so lovely. Some of my Tiarella are reblooming types, so maybe yours will produce a new flush. Last year a rabbit sat placidly munching one of my Muscari flowers, while I shouted and threw something from the deck. I had to stomp over to the garden bed to convince it that it wasn’t a free lunch. Actually, I rarely see any rabbits around here in summer, but often a hare hangs out under my giant spruce tree in the front yard over winter.

July 30, 2011 at 9:15 am

Such a pretty cross, you really get the best of both. The detail on the leaves is wonderful. The pink blooms look even better when combined with the tiny blue bells.

July 30, 2011 at 10:29 am

Rebecca, I’ve been combining more of the Heucherella and Tiarella with Campanula in different parts of my garden, because the pink flower spikes do look so good with the blue bellflowers. The pink and blue colour scheme is very appealing and the two different flower shapes compliment each other. It helps that these are reblooming or long blooming types, so their flowering time overlaps the Campanula that bloom in summer.

5. di :
    August 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Came across your blog as I was looking for info on ferns that do not spread agressively. Alot of information for me to read as I begin to plan my lanscaping project. Thanks and I look forward to visiting again soon.

August 4, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Di, the ferns that I’ve found to spread the least are Dicentra expansa (spiny wood fern), Athyrium niponicum (Japanese panted fern) and Athyrium ‘Ghost’ (ghost lady fern). My Adiantum pedatum (maidenhair fern) are well behaved, too.

I’m glad you visited, and feel free to check back, ask any questions, or share ideas.

7. SwimRay :
    August 12, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Very nice! Fresh and cool looking. With our heat at this time of year, my bronze leaf heuchera looks like part of my mulch.

August 12, 2011 at 10:57 pm

SwimRay, sorry to hear about the heat taking its toll. We’ve had an unusually wet summer, so the plants have kept a lush look with very little extra watering. Some of the Tiarella, Heuchera and Heucherella have long lasting flowers adding to the nice leaves.

9. debsgarden :
    August 25, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I have just been catching up on your blog and have enjoyed this and previous summer posts. The heucherellas are lovely and do remind me of the heucheras in my own garden. I planted a few tiarellas this past spring, not far from a number of different heucheras. Maybe I will end up with some self sown heucherellas! Or maybe not – our sumer heat has been brutal, and a lot of my woodland plant are looking worn out and crispy on the edges. Your rain drenched plants look very happy!

August 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Debsgarden, two that I’ve really appreciated this summer are Tiarella ‘Pink Skyrocket’ and Heuchera ‘Raspbery Ice’, because they both have a very long blooming time and really showy flowers. We’ve had some warm weather this past week but most of the summer was rainy and cool, so I ended up with lots of pictures with shiny leaves.

August 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Hi Northern! This is really pretty – but you can tell I’ve been fairly inactive this summer. This is a new post for me!! ;-)

August 30, 2011 at 7:51 am

Shady Gardener, I’m glad you stopped by. These Heucherella are very pretty, and I can heartily recommend them. They bloomed for about 2 months, and their leaves have looked great in the garden since they stopped flowering. I’ve been on a Heucherella, Heuchera and Tiarella kick lately, and I planted even more types of Tiarella this summer which I’ll post about. Happy gardening.

13. Barbarapc :
    September 7, 2011 at 7:07 am

I’m fascinated to see that you have pretty pink blossoms – next year I’m going to get a much closer look. Mine had only a tinge of pink, wonder if it might be something to do with my soil – very, very sandy?

September 7, 2011 at 7:50 am

Barbarapc, they had a very pink colour, which stood out well in the garden. Another one which has a bright pink colour is Heuchera ‘Raspberry Ice’. The flowers on ‘Raspberry Ice lasted from June, and are still bright in colour.

15. guild-rez :
    December 23, 2011 at 4:09 am

I hope you’ll continue your blog!!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

December 23, 2011 at 7:38 am

Guild-rez, Merry Christmas. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, and a Happy New Year.

I plan to write more, but I’ve been slacking lately. :) I actually have a few almost finished articles that I should post, about some of my favourite plants from this past season. We’ve only had light snow so far, so some of the evergreen plants are still visible through the snow with great looking leaves, and I’ve been meaning to write about them, too.

17. shady gardener :
    January 27, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Missing you.

January 27, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Hi Shady, my garden is under a light snow cover, so I can still see bits and pieces of the evergreen leaves, but I’m dreaming of those spring bulbs. I should have forced some indoor bulbs this year, to tide me over until crocus time.